Sunday, March 16, 2008

A Dilemma

This coming weekend is one of my favorite weekends of the year, every year. The NCAA Tournament begins play on Thursday morning and continues through Sunday evening. It is an extravaganza of basketball, with great upsets along the way.

This afternoon, I watched the selection show, waiting for my two teams to be named to the bracket. I kept waiting, and waiting, and waiting... and the last game they announce involves both of my teams. Purdue and Baylor in the first round. Now, although Baylor will be giving me a degree in a couple years, my allegiance still lies with Purdue. It's just too bad that both of my teams can't make it past the first round.

To further complicate things, the game is on Thursday. I have class till 2 PM (3 EST) on Thursday, and then I'm taking Jess to the airport in Dallas at 4 and won't return till 8. So not only are both of my teams playing each other in the first round, but there's a 50% chance that I won't be able to watch the game.

Four positive notes though: 1) There is only one game that I have to watch in the first round. 2) One of my two teams will be playing on Saturday. 3) Since Purdue is playing Baylor, if the game happens while I'm driving Jess to the airport, at least it'll be on the radio. 4) After the first round, there is no possibility of divided allegiance... especially since cheering against IU is a part of being a Purdue fan.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As soon as I saw the matchup...I knew I had to visit your blog. I wondered if you would post something about it. Glad to see you are staying faithful. I'm a prime example of receiving a degree from a school and absolutely despising every minute of it. At least I never had to set foot in Bloomington...that would have killed me. I'm in this habit of receiving degrees from schools that I've never been to before. I finally finished my master of elementary education degree at Walden University. I just now figured out it was in Minnesota after 18 months of classes.

Lance

Lisa Joy said...

No need to worry about cheering against IU past that first round! Hee hee.

I was happy with the way our young Boilers played in both rounds. There is a LOT of potential there.

BTW: Is the Lance that commented above the Lance I know?